Download the Source Code
CASound is a CA that doubles as a realtime sound synthesizer.
The normalized values of a 1D CA are used to generate the waveform that is displayed in the top-most view of CASound.
The lower view of CASound displays the history of the 1D CA values.
Use the controls provided in the "Tweak" menu to manipulate CASound to create your own aural soundscapes.
- Stop / Start Button: Stop or start the applet.
- Tweak Button: Opens the Tweak dialog. This dialog allows you to tweak the applet's parameters.
- Constant: Change the constant that is multiplied/added to the cell's sum. The constant does not affect the wave equation.
- Strategy: Change how the cells are updated.
- Multiply Constant: Updates the cell by multiplying the constant by the sum of the cell's left and right neighbors and itself.
- Add Constant: Updates the cell by adding the constant to the sum of the cell's left and right neighbors and itself.
- Wave Equation: Simulates the wave equation. The cell is updated by subtracting its previous state from the sum of its left and right neighbors.
- Seed: Change how the applet is seeded.
- Point Seed: Seeds the applet with a single seed located at the midpoint.
- Linear Seed: Seeds the applet with a linear slope that crests in the middle.
- Sine Seed: Seeds the applet with a sine wave.
- Seed Button: Reseed the applet with the currently selected seed.
- / Button: Mute or play the sound.
Things to try:
- Play with the constant values.
- For the "Multiply Constant" strategy try values greater than 1.0.
- For the "Add Constant" strategy try these values:0, 0.05, 0.3, 0.3299, 0.45, 0.475, 0.495, 0.9.
- When using the "Wave Equation" strategy try seeding the applet with a "Linear" or "Sine" seed rather than the default "Point" seed. If you don't you may notice erratic behavior known as Gibbs' Phenomena. Gibbs' Phenomena occurs when the wave equation is not supplied a continuous waveform.
- Sound generation inspired by the JASS API.